The Biden administration has slammed a new Republican Party report assessing the chaotic US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
The memo, which came in response to the GOP report, blamed former US President Trump for reaching a 2020 deal with the Taliban to evacuate the United States from the region by May 2021.
“This partisan report is riddled with inaccurate characterizations, hand-picked information and false allegations. It argues for endless war and for more US troops to be sent to Afghanistan. And it ignores the impacts of the flawed deal that former President Trump made with the Taliban,” National Security Council (NSC) spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said in the memo, the text of which was first reported by Axios and obtained by The Hill.
Watson said the United States does not need a permanent troop presence on the ground to remain vigilant against terrorist threats or to remove the world’s most wanted terrorist from the battlefield. “We just demonstrated unequivocally during Zawahiri’s recent strike to eliminate the leader of al-Qaeda,” she said.
The NSC official even blamed former President Trump’s 2020 deal with the Taliban which she said “strengthened the Taliban, weakened our partners in the Afghan government and committed to withdrawing our troops within a few months.” months after President Biden’s inauguration – with no clear plan for what should come next.”
Earlier, the Republican report declared the Biden administration’s inability to adequately plan and execute the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
He said the Biden administration had failed to accurately describe the nature of events on the ground and had no plan in place to prevent US-trained Afghan commandos from being recruited by adversaries. Americans.
“There are a lot of sins, if you will. There was a total lack and failure of planning. There was no plan, and no plan was executed… We had to rely on the Taliban to secure HKIA perimeter This has led to chaos,” House Foreign Affairs Committee Chief Republican Michael McCaul told CBS after the report was released last week.
“And that also led to the suicide bomber who killed 13 servicemen and women and injured hundreds of people. And it could have been avoided,” he added.
The Biden administration announced in mid-April last year that Washington would withdraw its remaining troops from Afghanistan by the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
The current administration has held the previous government accountable for the negotiated deal with the Taliban, who pledged to pull out by May 1, 2021.
(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)